The 0x80240034 error with Windows 10 is triggered by Windows Update being incapable to download and install the numerous documents it needs to execute the updates that Windows needs.
The error is particularly referred to as the " WU_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILED " error, essentially suggesting that the system did not download and install the appropriate "Windows Update" documents.
The resulting concern indicates that your system is incapable to take care of the updates that are called for to run, leading the system to display incorrect actions.
To fix the trouble, you basically require to settle any one of the core concerns stopping Windows Update from downloading and install the suitable documents – this comes in the kind of having the capability to fix the similarity the Windows Update solution, along with having the ability to fix any one of the vital software application applications incorporating with Windows.
The message for the error will usually reveal as adheres to:
Failed to set up – 0x80240034
The root cause of the error will commonly be:
- Internet link concerns
- Microsoft Update web server mistakes / issues
- Error with the upgrade haul itself
- Another various error with the upgrade (possibly infection / 3rd party software application concern)
The method to resolve the error is to make sure that the numerous documents Windows Update needs to run are functioning properly. This can be done making use of the adhering to actions:
1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The initial step is to run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
This is a device packed with Windows 10 (and also I think Windows 7) which permits you to tidy up any one of the concerns that Windows might have with its underlying "update" procedures.
To do this, you can make use of the adhering to actions:
- Press "Windows" + "I" secrets on your key-board (lots up "settings")
- Click onto "Update & Security"
- On the left panel, pick "Troubleshoot"
- From the checklist that shows up, pick "Windows Update"
- Click on "Run this troubleshooter"
- Let the procedure run
- After conclusion, reboot your COMPUTER
This most likely won't fix the error, yet need to settle most of concerns that develop with the upgrade solution.
2. Run SFC + DISM
After doing the above, you require to run the SFC + DISM commands.
These are little command-line based applications inside the Windows system, developed to supply individuals with the capability to tidy up most of issues which develop with Windows.
You can do this making use of the actions described below:
- Press "Windows" + "S" secrets on your key-board
- Type "CMD"
- On the very first listing which reveals, right-click and also pick "Run as Administrator"
- In the black box that shows up, kind the adhering to commands:
- "SFC / scannow" + press "Enter"
- "DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth" + press "Enter"
This will certainly run a collection of "scans" which will essentially make sure that your system has the ability to run the numerous documents / setups which it needs effectively.
Whilst this most likely won't fix the trouble (although it need to for ~ 40% of instances), it must settle a lot of underlying concerns which might be leading it to reveal.
3. Manually Restart Windows Update Service
Next, you'll requirement to by hand reboot the Windows Update solution.
This is a little bit complicated, yet need to be the biggest factor to a service.
Basically, the method Windows Update functions is with what's referred to as a "service".
This ia an application which runs constantly in the history of your system and also permits a variety of various other procedures to use it at will.
The Windows Update solution is in charge of constantly downloading and install, returning to and also upgrading the numerous components called for to execute updates in Windows.
Unfortunately, it is frequently the situation that the system will certainly wind up having issues with the solution, which can be settled by manually rebooting it:
- Press "Windows" + "S" secrets on your key-board
- Type "CMD" and also on the very first thing which shows up, right-click and also pick "Run As Administrator"
- Into the black box which shows up, kind the adhering to commands:
- 'internet quit wuauserv' + 'Enter'
- 'internet quit cryptSvc' + 'Enter'
- 'internet quit little bits' + 'Enter'
- 'internet quit msiserver' + 'Enter'
- 'Ren C: Windows SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old' + 'Enter'
After doing this, you will certainly require to begin the numerous solutions once again.This can be done making use of the adhering to actions (once again in the exact same CMD panel):
- 'internet begin wuauserv' + 'Enter'
- 'internet begin cryptSvc' + 'Enter'
- 'internet begin little bits' + 'Enter'
- 'internet begin msiserver' + 'Enter'
This need to be adhered to by running the Windows Update "Check for updates" command once again.
4. Temporarily Disable Firewall / Antivirus
Finally, among the much more usual sources of the trouble is a "false flag" from the similarity your anti-viruses or firewall software application.
This takes place since your system essentially believes that (somehow) the Windows Update solution is triggering uneven (possibly hazardous) Internet connection, and also hence will certainly obstruct it.
To resolve this, you can make use of the adhering to actions:
- If you're making use of a 3RD PARTY anti-viruses
- Right-click the safety software application's symbol in the bottom-right of your Windows taskbar
- Select the matching of "pause" (it might be "Gaming mode" / "Temporarily Stop" etc)
- Select "10 Minutes" or the matching
- Try operating Windows Update once again
- If WU doesn't operate at this factor, attempt action 3 once again with your anti-viruses momentarily handicapped
- Restart your system hereafter effort
- If you're making use of Windows Defender (default anti-viruses)
- Press "Windows" + "I" secrets on your key-board
- Select "Update & Security"
- From the left food selection, pick "Windows Security"
- Select "Virus & threat protection" and after that "Virus & threat protection settings"
- Switch "Real-time protection" to "Off"
- Try upgrading the system, and also if it doesn't job – attempt running action 3 once again
- After this, re-enable the Windows Defender solution, reboot your COMPUTER
If the above does not function, you'll most likely have much deeper concerns with your system. Obviously, a common Internet write-up isn't mosting likely to resolve that.
To fix this, you'll be far better speaking to a person with particular / hands-on experience with your system. This can be accomplished by either mosting likely to an on-line area (SuperUser etc), or by speaking to a person that'll skillfully fix the system. Fiverr has actually become a suitable resource of this kind of solution. In any kind of situation, the trouble must be fairly easy to settle – the distinction exists in attempting to recognize the core concern leading it to reveal.